Sunday, March 10, 2013

RIO DE JANEIRO View From The Village


Writing from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Yesterday was Saturday. Not the best day to see Christ the Redeemer, considering it was the weekend. As our car got closer to the top of the mountain, we observed the long line of parked cars. At the end of the road, many people stood in long lines, waiting for vans to take them the rest of the way up to see Christ the Redeemer.  

Best to go back another day. Perhaps on Friday when we visit Alba, my new found Brazilian cousin. Actually cousin of my Brazilian brother-in-law, Robert, back in Florida. But I figure, mi familia es su familia,  right? Oh that's Spanish-does not work here, but I think the sentiment does!


Though I only saw Christ the Redeemer from a distance, I have been impacted and inspired by the sculpture of a 'living' Jesus, with outstretched arms, embracing all of Rio de Janeiro.
This morning I made some notes and sketched ideas for a series of collages, each with Christ the Redeemer on the mountaintop and some aspect of this culture.

• Christ the Redeemer on top of Corcovado  Mountain.

• My friend Carla and family took Nelson and I to see Christ the Redeemer, Sugarloaf Mountain and the beaches of Rio.

• Zooming in on Christ the Redeemer.

No comments:

Post a Comment